23 Ideas To Colour Your Christmas with Service
On November 26 and December 3 at Westminster we’re having a 2-part mini teaching series called “A Servant Christmas: How the birth of a Servant Saviour can make your Christmas more meaningful.”[You can hear Part 1 called “Saving Christmas (From Ourselves)” here.]
During the message on November 26th, a handout was referenced with 23 practical ideas for how to colour your Christmas with service.
This post shares these 23 ideas in blog form! And we would really like to thank Shannon Stephenson and Carole Crawford who provided much of the background research! They did a great job.
As Rev. Ruttan said during the message, “When you know what’s important you do what’s important.” Hopefully these ideas will help you connect what you know about the birth of a Servant Saviour with how you celebrate his birthday.
1. Help sponsor a family-in-need through Simcoe Muskoka Family Connections (formerly the Children’s Aid Society). This is a Westminster-wide project. Cards are available at the church (on the “Wall of Love”) with the various gift ideas. They are due back to the church by December 10th.
2. Provide bake goods at Hospice Simcoe (Penetanguishene Rd., Barrie) Call 705-722-5995. The baked goods are consumed by families visiting loved ones in Hospice care.
3. Hand out baked cookies and thank-you notes to public service workers or co-workers. To find how and who to connect to contact local fire and police departments, hospital, local schools.
4. Provide blankets for the homeless. David Busby Street Centre, (705) 739-6916.
5. Pay for someone’s coffee or groceries in line behind you.
6. Clean out closets and toys to donate to local shelters and charity organizations. Get in touch with the Salvation Army (three locations, visit salvationarmy.ca), or Women and Children’s Shelter, (705) 728-2544.
7. Sing carols or make Christmas ornaments for those at a nursing home. Call local nursing homes for details.
8. Run errands, wrap presents or shovel the driveway of an elderly neighbour.
9. Make small gift baskets for children in the hospital. Royal Victoria Hospital (705) 728-9802 – pediatric department.
10. Donate your time to new parents. Offer to babysit while they do some Christmas shopping.
11. Donate your time to your local animal shelter. Walk a dog, play with a cat. The extra attention is greatly needed and loved.
12. Participate in Christmas Cheer (volunteer or make donations) Call 705-730-0449 or visit online at christmascheerbarrie.com.
13. Volunteer at the Barrie Food Bank for a month. Call Evy at 705 725-1818 x 2003.
14. Get involved in Meals on Wheels. Call Heather Stone, Canadian Red Cross at 705 721 3313.
15. Contribute to Rosie’s Community Dinners. Victoria Village Barrie. Call Rose Romita, 705-722-7763
16. When hosting friends or family, invite them to bring an item or donation for the food bank.
17. Participate in Mitten Tree Sunday at Westminster. On December 10, bring in scarves, mittens or warm hats for the “Mitten Tree” which will then be distributed to the needy.
18. Participate in White Gift Sunday at Westminster. On December 17, bring in food items for the Food Bank (you can wrap them in white if you wish, but it’s not necessary).
19. Invite people to church. Keep an eye out especially for new people in the neighbourhood, invite them to a special Christmas service at Westminster.
20. Write letters to raise awareness about Christians who are persecuted around the world. Call Voice of the Martyrs Canada to learn more at 1-888-29-VOICE (298-6423) or visit https://www.vomcanada.com/write.htm.
21. Donate blood. Phone 1 888-236-6283 for a clinic and hours near you. Have to be over 17 and meet certain requirements. Visit blood.ca.
22. Give out warm socks. Have extra warm socks handy throughout December (perhaps in your car) to give out when you see someone who might need them.
23. Invite someone you think is lonely in your neighbourhood out for coffee or a walk.
24. What other idea do YOU have? ___________________________________________________.
May 30, 2020
May 22, 2020
April 25, 2020