Miracles – Group Discussion Questions for The Vine, Week 6
Every Wednesday evening at The Vine, small groups gather to discuss the message and Bible passage from the previous Sunday.
Podcast – This week’s message was called “Miracles” and you can review the podcast here.
Bible – The Bible passage was Luke 8:40-56 and you can read it here.
Questions – If you wonder about the kinds of questions that are discussed, here they are for this coming week:
1. A lot of people struggle with the idea of miracles. For many of us we just don’t see evidence of miracles in our day-to-day lives. And it can be hard to reconcile what we know about the modern laws of nature and an all-powerful God. Do you think science and miracles are incompatible? Why or why not?
2. In the story from Luke 8, Jesus performs two healings—Jairus’ daughter and the bleeding woman. As you read through the story, what are the common elements in both stories? What factors are consistently present when Jesus heals someone?
3. Matthew stated that since God created the world, he can also re-create it. If he can put molecules and particles together to create heaven and earth, it’s not insurmountable for him to rearrange those same molecules and particles and perform what we call “miracles.” In light of this, why do you think faith is an important part of the healing process?
4. Have you ever witnessed a miracle? If you are comfortable, explain. How did it impact your faith?
5. Matthew told a story of a young boy with cerebral palsy. One day his mother saw him in the hall and Jesus had his arm around her. She swears she saw this, and when she looked back Jesus was gone and only her son remained. She said, “For the first time since he was born, I saw my son as already healed in the power of God.” What did the mother mean that he was “already healed in the power of God?” How can you be healed and still suffer from something?
6. Matthew encouraged us to pray big prayers. Take some time over the next day or two to make a list of big prayers, and start to say them!
June 12, 2020
November 06, 2019
October 02, 2019